Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Dorm Room Chic Decor

Dorm room's are normally classified with the pervasive smell of Ramen Cup of Noodle, futons that are never actually comfortable to sleep in, and dirty laundry decorating the floor.  Thats why I've always been inspired by fabulous dorm room decor.  If they can make a dorm room fabulous, then I'm really slacking off!!  Freshman year, a girl in my building bought fabulous wall paper and tightly taped it to the walls.  Without the high gloss white paint on the brick walls, her room felt cozy and homey.  Plus, as she pointed out when I asked her about it, buying wall paper was pretty reasonable given the size of a dorm room.  Wall paper, curtains, carpets, lighting can all help transform a dorm room into a completely new space.  I think the key to avoiding a typical looking dorm room is to stray from the traditional potterybarn/ikea color pallets- no pastels/bright colors- and remember the accessories.  A good dorm space utilizes the room's limited amount of space and I love looking at photos of dorm spaces to help me think of ideas for decorating a smaller bedroom space in my current home.  Check out some of the photos below for inspiration.  

What was your dorm room like?

I would have killed to have this boys dorm room.  Check out the article about the space here.  This kid is seriously dedicated to decor- I mean he put the supplied dorm room furniture in storage?  Bananas!!

Easy vibes with this color palate 

Replica of FDR's Harvard dorm room.  Even at 21, he was displaying presidential decorating skills.  Ha!

This room manages to pull off a preppy rock and roll chic look, and I like it!

Loving this modern space with the wall paper

Fabulous before/after shot

Check this book out for more inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment