Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Newport Rhode Island- The Beverly Hills of the East Coast

One of my favorite shows on TV is Palatial Passport on WealthTV, which gives you an inside look at the beautiful historic homes around the world. I'm always watching their shows on home decor and travel. and Palatial Passports has consistently been one of my favorite shows for the past three years.

Two of my favorite episodes were on rerun earlier this week- touring inside Breakers and Marble House.  Both of these amazing estates are located in Newport, Rhode Island.  I checked out The Newport, RI Historical Preservation Society, and was blown away by all of the mansions they restore and open to the public.  Newport, RI was truly a cornacopia of the world's Elite in the early 1900's.  So its no surprise that the Vanderbilt family built several houses there (Since when is one ridiculously over the top mansion enough!?).  The Breakers and Marble House were both Vanderbilt estates, and every time I see photos of them I am blown away by the immaculate detail throughout the house.

Marble House
Whenever you see photos of Marble House, you can really tell why the Vanderbilt's were considered America's Royal Family.  From the front drive, Marble House resembles the White House- but the inside of Marble House really looks like a royal palace.  Look the beautiful dinning room and entry way.  Can you imagine constructing a room with marble walls?  I love the elaborate molding used throughout the house, especially in the ballroom and the study.  I wish home depot had something like it!  


Breakers
Breakers is one of my absolute dream homes.  It sits right along the ocean atop of a beautiful cliff (I love my ocean views!).  The house has such a presence when you look at it from the outside, can you imagine growing up and playing on that huge front lawn?! The outside isn't my only favorite part- Breakers has the most gorgeous interior.  I love the vibrant bold red curtains against the gold column moldings and the sparkling crystal chandeliers.  And I love the entry way- talk about giving guests the Red Carpet Treatment!  

I can't wait to take a trip one day to visit Newport and see all of the homes first hand!  Until then, I'm settling for the next best thing- watching Palatial Passport on WealthTV!!  Where would you like to visit next?

No comments:

Post a Comment